Sunfish believes that everyone who wants to build a family should be able to do so.
We welcome the opportunity to support any individual, couple, or intended co-parents – regardless of who they love – with their family-building journeys.
We are proud to offer customized guidance and financing for the LGBTQIA+ community, as Sunfish aims to make the parenthood journey easier and affordable for families of all types.
Whether you are just getting started or well on your way to growing your family, there are legal, financial, and logistical challenges that add another layer of complexity for LGBTQIA+ intended parents. Sunfish and our partners provide financial solutions for each step of the process, as well as additional guidance and support.
LGBTQIA+ Family Building
What options are available for same sex female couples or individual women?
- Family planning for two biological women typically includes intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in-vitro fertilization (IVF). Same-sex female couples or individuals will also need a sperm donor (anonymous or known). The total cost for these procedures tends to be a few thousand dollars.
- In some cases, same-sex female couples will undergo “reciprocal in-vitro fertilization (IVF)”, which allows both partners to participate in the pregnancy. One woman supplies her eggs, retrieved and fertilized by donated sperm in IVF, with the resulting embryo(s) implanted into her partner for pregnancy as a gestational carrier.
What options are available for same sex male couples or individual gay men?
- Gay men wanting to have a baby can use an egg donor and a gestational surrogate. They will also need to pay for the medical procedures of embryo creation, in-vitro fertilization (IVF) to allow the surrogate to become pregnant, and an array of additional costs to cover legal fees, health insurance, travel, and logistics.
- The total cost of this journey typically comes to around $200,000.
- We are the only lender that works with multiple surrogacy agencies throughout the country.
What options are available to the Transgender community?
- Cryopreservation, the process of freezing and preserving living tissue and cells, can give people the extra time they need before they are ready to begin their family. This procedure is more commonly known as egg or sperm “freezing.”
- Within the transgender community, this process offers a special value. Oftentimes, transitioning means the loss of fertility due to the amount of hormones, such as testosterone, that a female-to-male person would utilize in the transitioning process. Cryopreservation allows transgender people the freedom of living their most authentic lives while still being able to create their family biologically.
Resources for you
We are proud to work with a number of groups that offer educational resources and support for the LGBTQIA+ community. Please contact us to learn more about Sunfish’s partners.
We offer a database of grants and discounts which includes many discounts available to same-sex male couples or other specific populations.
We proudly stand by the LGBTQIA+ community.
Sunfish is a partner of a number of LGBTQIA+ focused parenthood groups.